- Editor, QUEST Research Journal
- Research scientist (ERCIM research fellow) at Moving Picture Technologies, Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits, Erlangen, Germany (2016-17).
- Reviewer of Elsevier journal on Ad Hoc Networks.
- Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Computers.
- Reviewer of EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems.
- Regular reviewer of several IEEE and ACM conferences.
- CLIC - Closed Loop Integration of Cognition, Communication and Control (2010, Austria)
This project pertains to the integration of real-time image analysis, adaptive motion control and synchronous communication that enables innovative control and security mechanisms as well as improved energy efficiency. The application developed in this project is a crane that can autonomously avoid collisions with stationary and moving objects. The combination of these components in real-time enables the crane to load a vehicle while this is in motion.
- MobiTrick - Mobile Traffic Checker (2010-2013, Austria)
MobiTrick is a portable device for traffic enforcement (e.g., tolling). Mobile Systems are limited in size and resources. Therefore, there is not much space for a large number of sensors. Hence, the work in this project is focused on stereo vision but with two different types of cameras (e.g., color and infrared). The system adapts itself to changing situations in case it is used at a new location. This requires adaptive calibration and online learning. Energy is always a scarce resource in embedded devices. Thus the system is designed to be very energy efficient. New approaches for context-aware dynamic power management are implemented.
- Machine Learning Based Automatic Number Plate Detection (2014-2015, QUEST)
Automatic detection and recognition of number plates is required for a number of purposes including law enforcement, parking lot allocation, gate entry control, etc. Performing this task without using large, bulky and expensive sensors/hardware is a challenging issue. In this project, we developed an automatic number plate detection and recognition system that is fully based on image processing. We extract FHOG image features, an advanced form of HOG (Histogram of Oriented Gradients) features, from a number of training images and use these features to train a number plate detector based on Structured Support Vector Machine (SSVM). The extracted plates are further enhanced using a number of image processing operations. In order to extract numbers from the plates, Tesseract OCR open-source character recognition engine is used. Our proposed method gives an overall accuracy of over 96%, outperforming existing methods not only with respect to accuracy, but also processing time.
This project aims at retrieving key information from movies using deep learning. The extracted information includes the salient tags describing the movie, the detailed information describing the overall context of the movie, and segmenting the movie accordingly. The extracted information can also be used for a number of purposes including efficient archiving, query based search, content censorship, and recommendation systems, etc. This research was carried out at Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits (IIS), Erlangen, Germany and funded by European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM).
- Z. A. Shaikh, U. A. Khan, "Number Plate Detection & Recognition Using Deformable Part Models", LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, Germany, ISBN: 978-3-659-80488-5, 2015.
- U. A. Khan, "A Theoretical Framework for Optimization Issues with Applications", VDM Verlag Dr. Müller Publishing, Germany, ISBN: 978-3-639-33499-9, 2011.
- U. A. Khan and B. Rinner. "Online Learning of Timeout Policies for Dynamic Power Management". ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, Vol. 13, No. 4, Article 96, 25 pages, February 2014. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2529992)
- U. A. Khan, M. A. Amor, S. M. Altowaijri, A. Arain, A. Rahman, N. Sama, K. Haseeb, N. Islam, "Movies Tags Prediction & Segmentation Using Deep Learning", IEEE ACCESS, 2019 [Under Review].
- A. R. Bhangwar, A. A. Arain, U. A. Khan, T. Saba, K. Al-Mustafa, K. Haseeb, N. Islam, "WETRP: Weight based Energy & Temperature aware Routing Protocol for Wireless Body Sensor Networks", IEEE ACCESS, 2019 [Under Review].
- M. A. Latif, U. A. Khan, "Multi-Crop Recognition using UAV based High Resolution NDVI Time-Series", International Journal of Remote Sensing, 2018 [Under Review].
- S.Memon, P.Kumar, U.A.Khan, "Performance Evaluation of MANET Routing Mechanisms", Springer's Special Issue on Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 82, No. 3, pp. 1-18, 2015.
- J.C. Chedjou, K. Kyamakya, M.A.Latif, U.A.Khan, “Solving Stiff Ordinary Differential Equations and Partial Differential Equations Using Analog Computing Based on Cellular Neural Networks”, In ISAST Transactions on Computers and Intelligent Systems, Vol.1, No. 2, pp. 38 - 46., 2009.
- M.A. Rajput, U.A. Khan, N.A. Memon, I. Memon, "Frequency Domain Image Filtering Using CUDA", Mehran University Research Journal of Engineering & Technology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 423-431, 2014.
- U.A.Khan, F.A.Jokhio, I.H.Sadhayo, “Reinforcement Learning for Dynamic Power Management of Embedded Visual Sensor Nodes”, Mehran University Research Journal of Engineering & Technology, vol. 33, No.2, 2014.
- U.A.Khan, S.R.Hassan, I.H.Sadhayo, Z.H.Abro, “Real-Time Driver’s Vigilance Detections System”, Quest Research Journal, vol. 12, No.1, 2013.
- I.H.Sadhayo, F.A.Jokhio, U.A.Khan, P.Kumar,N.A.Memon, "Preventing SPIT with Naive Bayes in VoIP Communications", QUEST Research Journal, Vol. 13, No. 01, pp. 30-36, 2014.
- A. Arain, M.A.Channa, U.A.Khan, "Performance Evaluation of Wireless Sensor Network in presence of Grayhole Attack", QUEST Research Journal, Vol. 13, No. 01, pp. 22-29, 2014.
- F.A.Jokhio, U.A.Khan, I.H.Sadhayo, "A Parallel Processing Approach to Compute Angular Correlation Function", QUEST Research Journal, vol. 14, no. 1, 2015.
- A. Ahmed, U. A. Khan, A. Rajpar, "Analysis of Ad-Hoc On Demand Distance Vector Routing Protocol Against Node Misbehavior Attacks in Wireless Sensor Networks", QUEST Research Journal, vol.13, No.2, pp. 67-72, 2015.
- U. A. Khan, F. H. Mangi, I. H. Sadhayo, "Analysis of Power Optimization Techniques in Vision Based Environment Monitoring Systems", QUEST Research Journal, vol.13, No.2, pp. 34-42, 2015.
- F. H. Mangi, U. A. Khan, I. H. Sadhayo, R. A. Talani, A. Memon, "Symmetry Preservation in Spectral Volume Method With High Accuracy", QUEST Research Journal, vol. 14, no. 1, 2015.
- F.Jokhio, U.A.Khan, I.H.Sadhayo, A.A.Soomro, A.U,Jokhio, "Resource Allocation Based on Rates, Load and Throughput for Video Transcoding in a Cloud", QUEST Research Journal, vol.13, No.2, pp. 43-50, 2015.
- J. A. Unar, A. W. Memon, U. A. Khan, E. Ali "On Biometric Modalities: A Detailed Review of the Biometric Techniques For Security and Authentication", QUEST Research Journal, vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 13-26, 2016.
- S.A.Memon, S.R.Hassan, I.H.Sadhayo, U.A.Khan, N.A.Memon, "Comparative Analysis of Video Streaming Performance Using MPEG-4 Compression Over Wired Networks", NED University Research Journal - Special Issue on MCCT'14, pp. 9-17, 2014.
- U.A.Khan, A.R.Fasih, K. Kyamakya, J.C.Chedjou, “Genetic Algorithm Based Template Optimization for a Vision System Used for Obstacle Detection”, In Proceedings of 15th IEEE conference on Theoretical Engineering (ISTET), pp. 1-5, Lubeck, Germany, 2009.
- U.A.Khan, A.R.Fasih, K.Kyamakya, J.C.Chedjou, “Benchmarking of Traditional Method of Genetic Algorithm with a New Approach and a modified type of 2-Point Crossover (F-Crossover)”, In Proceedings of 15th IEEE conference on Theoretical Engineering (ISTET), pp. 6-10, Lubeck, Germany, 2009.
- U.A.Khan, B.Rinner, “A Reinforcement Learning Framework For Dynamic Power Management of a Portable, Multi-Camera Traffic Monitoring System”, In Proceedings of IEEE conference on Green Computing & Communication (GreenCom), pp. 557-564, Besancon, France, 2012.
- U.A.Khan, M. Godec, M. Quaritsch, M. Hennecke, H. Bischof, B. Rinner, “MobiTrick – Mobile Traffic Checker”, In Proceedings of 19th Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) World Congress, pp. 1-10, Vienna, Austria, 2012.
- U.A.Khan, B.Rinner, “Dynamic Power Management for Portable, Multi-Camera Traffic Monitoring”, In Proceedings of 18th IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS), pp.37-40, Beijing, China, 2012.
- U.A.Khan, M.Quaritsch, B.Rinner, “Design of a Heterogeneous, Energy-Aware, Stereo-Vision Based Sensing Platform for Traffic Surveillance”, In Proceedings of IEEE Ninth Workshop on Intelligent Solutions in Embedded Systems (WISES), pages 47–52, Regensberg, Germany, 2011.
- A.R.Fasih, U.A.Khan, J.C.Chedjou, K.Kyamakya, “Traffic Light Controller by Reinforcement Learning Method with Local States”, In Proceedings of 15th IEEE conference on Theoretical Engineering (ISTET), pp. 25.28, Lubeck, Germany, 2009.
- J.C. Chedjou, K.Kyamakya, U.A.Khan, M.A.Latif, “Potential contribution of CNN-based solving of stiff ODEs & PDEs to enabling real-time Computational Engineering”, In Proceedings of IEEE 12th International Workshop on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and Their Applications (CNNA), pp. 1-6, Berkeley, USA, 2010.
- K.Kayamakya, J.C.Chedjou, M.A.Latif, U.A.Khan, “A Novel Image Processing Approach Combining a ‘Coupled Nonlinear Oscillators’-based Paradigm with Cellular Neural Networks for Dynamic Robust Contrast Enhancement”, In Proceedings of IEEE 12th International Workshop on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and Their Applications (CNNA), pp. 7-13, Berkeley, USA, 2010.
- J.C.Chedjou, K.Kyamakya, M.A.Latif, U.A.Khan, “Solving Stiff Ordinary Differential Equations and Partial Differential Equations Using Analog Computing Based on Cellular Neural Networks”, In Proceedings of IEEE 2nd Workshop on Nonlinear Dynamics and Synchronization (INDS), pp. 213-220, Klagenfurt, Austria, 2009.
- Z.A.Shaikh, U.A.Khan, N.A.Memon, "An Autonomic Service Based System Using Machine Learning", International Conference on Modern Communication & Communication Technologies (MCCT), 2014.
- S.A.Memon, S.R.Hassan, U.A.Khan, I.H.Sadhayo, N.A.Memon, "Performance Evaluation of Video Streaming Over Wired Networks Using Ns-2 Simulator", International Conference on Modern Communication & Communication Technologies (MCCT), 2014.
- M.S.Jamali, P.Kumar, U.A.Khan, "Internet of Things: Architecture & Integration with Other Networks", International Conference on Modern Communication & Communication Technologies (MCCT), 2014.
- Z. A. Shaikh, U. A. Khan, M. A. Rajput, A. W. Memon, "Machine Learning based Number Plate Detection and Recognition", 5th International Conference on Pattern Recognition Applications & Methods (ICPRAM), pp. 327 - 333, Rome, Italy, 2016.
- U. A. Khan, E. Naveed, A. M. Amor, H. Sparenberg, "Movies Tags Extraction Using Deep Learning", 14th IEEE Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance (AVSS), 29 August - 1st September 2017, Lece, Italy.
- E. Naveed, U. A. Khan, A. M. Amor, H. Sparenberg, “Deep Learning based Beat Event Detection in Action Movie Franchises”, 10th International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV 2017), 13 - 15 November 2017, Vienna, Austria.
- U. A. Khan, M. A. Kolai, Z. A. Shaikh, A. Arain, "A Hybrid Technique for Copy-Move Image Forgery Detection", 3rd International Conference on Computer and Communication Systems (ICCCS'18), April 2018, Nagoya, Japan.
- I. A. Halepoto, U. A. Khan, A. A. Arain, "Retransmission Policies for Efficient Communication in IoT Applications", IEEE 6th International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud, Spain, 2018.
- A. A. Arain, I. A. Halepoto, U. A. Khan, S. Kumar, A. R. Bhangwar, "I-RP: Interference Aware Routing Protocol for WBAN", IEEE 6th International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud, Spain, 2018.